Woodwork

The chancel of the church retained traces of medieval architecture and furnishings. The chancel stalls date from the 14th century and are known to have been under construction in 1375-1376. The detailed carvings include the heads of the Edward the Black Prince and Henry Despenser, Bishop of Norwich, as well as the arms of several notable Norfolk families. Behind the stalls are intricately carved 14th and 15th century oak screens.

Photograph of the misericord seats in the chancel of King's Lynn Minster. The seats are folded to reveal intricate carvings of the heads of Edward the Black Prince and Bishop Henry Despencer.

An Elizabethan screen, formerly at the entrance to the chancel, is now built in to the organ loft. The nave houses a fine pulpit dating from 1745. The pulpit is the only survivor of the furnishings by Matthew Ward of Bury for Brettingham's rebuilt nave. It is richly carved with foliage and images of angels. 

The font cover of 1875 is a memorial contribution to the 1873-1875 Restoration. The magnificent reredos by G. F. Bodley is also a product of that time. It was erected in 1899 but planned many years before.

See more about the carvings at The Minster and other Norfolk churches on the Green Man East Anglia Web-site.